The Pros and Cons of Dental Veneers
- Posted on: Dec 15 2017
- Leave a response
Dental veneers are used to enhance the appearance of your teeth and smile. They are thin, custom designed shells that are made to cover the front side of your teeth. Dental veneers can be made from resin composite materials or porcelain. Since veneers are custom made, they are created with the color, shape, length, and size of your natural teeth in mind. Let’s discuss what veneers can do for you as well as their disadvantages.
You might want dental veneers if:
- Teeth are chipped, broken, misaligned, uneven, irregularly shaped or worn down.
- Teeth are discolored because of a root canal procedure, the use of certain drugs or medicines, or due to fluoride.
- A smile with a large gap.
Dental veneers have a wide variety of advantages, including:
- Creating a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissues work well with porcelain.
- The color of porcelain veneers can help make dark teeth appear whiter and brighter.
- As opposed to crowns, veneers are a stronger and a more aesthetic approach to changing the shape and color of a tooth.
- Veneers do not need special care and can be cleaned by using your normal daily dental routine.
The disadvantages of getting dental veneers are:
- The process of placing veneers on the teeth is not reversible.
- Veneers are more expensive than composite resin bonding.
- It is difficult, and sometimes impossible to repair veneers if they crack or chip.
- Your teeth may become more sensitive to hot or cold since enamel is removed during the procedure.
- Those with unhealthy or weak teeth should not get veneers.
- Individuals who have a problem with grinding or clenching their teeth are not good candidates for veneers.
Schedule a consultation
If you want to enhance your smile, dental veneers may be an excellent option for you. In addition to veneers, Dr. Paul Covell offers a variety of cosmetic, restorative, and specialized dental procedures including dental implants, laser dentistry, and full mouth restoration. If you are considering dental veneers, you likely have questions or concerns about the procedure. Call our team today at 713.943.9832. We look forward to answering your questions and helping you on your path to a brighter and healthier smile.
Posted in: Veneers