The importance of dental health for men
- Posted on: Jun 15 2020
- Leave a response
Periodontal disease, an infection that starts in the mouth and can cause the loss of bone, soft tissues, and teeth, is a condition that cannot be cured, only controlled. However, it has been found that periodontal disease is found in more men than women, making it an area of dental health that needs to be discussed with men of all ages. Men who have not been making their oral health a priority may find themselves getting diagnosed with periodontal disease or tooth decay which can greatly impact their oral health and wellness. Additionally, conditions such as periodontal disease can cause bacteria to spread throughout the body through the bloodstream, increasing their risk of developing strokes, heart attacks, diabetes, and even Alzheimer’s disease. With a proper plan created with Dr. Paul Covell, many men can focus on ensuring better oral health with the assistance of our team.
Conditions that are associated with poor dental health
Poor dental health can increase the risk of periodontal disease, which an also contribute to conditions such as:
- Prostate cancer
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Kidney disease
How to improve oral health
Men can improve their oral health by working with Dr. Paul Covell of Pasadena, TX to develop a treatment plan that works best for their unique needs. Some changes to your oral hygiene habits may include:
- Brushing your teeth after every meal with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Replacing your toothbrush every three months or as needed if illness or damage occurs to the toothbrush
- Flossing the teeth at least once a day, though preferably after every meal
- Using a mouthwash that can help further kill germs and bacteria that lead to periodontal disease
- Chewing sugar-free gum to improve breath and increase saliva levels to flush away food particles and bacteria
- Quitting smoking or chewing tobacco
- Leading an active, healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and a healthy diet
- Visiting the dentist as recommended, or when problems arise, reducing the risk of conditions getting more damaging or expensive to remedy
Are you ready to create a healthier dental care routine for better oral health?
Contact the team at the practice of Dr. Paul Covell to discuss your specific needs. Our team can work together to focus on providing a dental care plan that fits your lifestyle while ensuring beautiful, healthy smiles for life! Call (713) 943-9832 to request an appointment at our practice, conveniently located at 4010 Vista Road in Pasadena, Texas.
Posted in: Dental Health, Periodontal Disease